Thursday, July 08, 2010

Vegetable Garden 2010 Update

Harvest 2010-06-29 004

We planted yellow squash with low expectations.  I had no idea I would fall in love with it.  Tender, sweet and versatile.  I stir fry it and put it in a tortilla with cheese for fajitas.  I mix it with eggs for a frittata.  I put it in tomato sauce with pasta.  I put fresh pesto on it. 

watermelon bud

This watermelon is now the size of a soft ball.  We have about four of them.

TX 1 first shots 2009-06-18 105

I admit.  I did not know cukes were spiky until I was 32.

garden progression 2010-06-13 001

From left to right: tomatoes, peas, yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower, bibb lettuce, carrots, onions, spinach, mesclun, strawberries, eggplant.garden progression 2010-06-13 013

We get a lot of cukes but you can’t cook them.  We eat lots raw like an apple.  I also put several into a blueberry cuke shake this morning.

garden 2010-07-02 010

Roma tomatoesgarden 2010-07-02 028

garden progression 2010-06-13 003

Broccoli was fun but it rots quickly, has HUGE leaves and only grows the one head.  Same with cauliflower.  The broc is supposed to have shoots come out but we haven’t gotten much.garden progression 2010-06-13 008

The kids just pick the peas right off and eat them like that.  You would have to plant A LOT of peas to get enough to do something with them.Kids eating 2010-06-30 001My Boys eating raw cukes.TX 1 first shots 2009-06-18 030

Gordito swinging in front of the garden.

7 comments:

Sweetland Retreat said...

Your garden is SOOOOO beautiful!!! Brian just walked by and was like "WOW! What are you looking at?" and I said "Eliza's garden!" and he was mighty impressed!

Joy Luciano said...

Eliza! Your garden looks amazing!!! Way to go for the first year!!!!! That's beautiful. Next year you'll have to add some kale. I never even ate kale until this year and now we all adore it. It's great in soups, add some to your stir fry, and they make great chips!!! I'll give you a really easy recipe if you're interested. Kale will grow all year round and keep regrowing so it's an amazing crop and one of the healthiest things you can eat.
Yellow squash and zucchini are my favorites to grow. They're so beautiful and they make me feel like a super Italian!
I have heard that growing pole beans instead of peas produces more crops and you can grow them on a big hoop or something to conserve space. I may try that next year, although I have a ton of pea seeds left to plant still.

Kerry said...

I'm totally impressed!!!!

Darla said...

Oh Eliza. That wonderful garden. I love it. LOVE IT!

kim said...

Eliza, I am Debbie Stafford Mom.
What a wonderful and impressed to see your blog.
In these days, we see so many men made processed junkie food..
Yet, you created "Garden of Eden".
I feel health just looking at your garden.
Congratulation! Your admirer.

kim said...

Hello, Eliza!
I would like to introduce myself.
I am Debbie's mom and I am so~ impressed to see your blog.
In these days, We eat so much men made junkie food...
Yet. You created "garden of Eden"
It is so refreshing! I feel like so healthy just looking at your garden!
Congratulation! Your admirer.

Eliza Uribe said...

Hi Debbie's mom!! I LOVE your daughter! I am so happy for her and the baby. Thanks for enjoying my garden. We call it the Garden of Eatin'.